I am all about easy and quick meals with a young family and something we will ALL eat. As the evenings are getting colder, there is nothing like coming home to the smell of your dinner cooking away in the slow cooker. I have been making this recipe for years now and it’s a firm family favourite. There’s nothing like a yummy bowl of bolognese to fill you up in the evening….it also give you loads to clean up (if you have a toddler who is also eating the sauce!).
I usually set the slow cooker to go on low for about 8 hours and usually 1hr or so before I’ll add some red wine (obvs!) and right before serving, some spinach (only if I have it to hand)
I use gluten free pasta, obviously, with this dish and I have been using Garofalo gluten free pasta recently and love the taste!
This recipe makes around 4-5 servings but I just double everything if I was to do a batch cook and freeze. The bolognese sauce freezes really well. Enjoy!!
Slow Cooker Bolognese
500g Lean Mince Beef
1 Of each green and red/yellow pepper
1 Head minced garlic – (I usually use Lazy garlic and put in about 3-4 tsps)
3tsp Sea Salt
1tbsp Runny Honey
1tsp Ground Cumin
1/2tsp Chili Powder
2tbsp Dried basil
680g Bottle of Passata
Not needed but nice to add some spinch and some red wine (for drinking and cooking!)
- Add the coconut oil to a pan and heat it up on a medium heat.
- Sauté the onions and peppers for 5 minutes until they get a little soft and then add spices, garlic and lastly the meat.
- Cook the mixture until the meat is browned.
- Drain the mixture.
- Put everything into the crock-pot and pour over the passata.
- Set your crock-pot to cook on low for 8 hours.
- If using wine add it 1hr before serving.
- If using the spinach add it right before serving.
- Enjoy over your favourite pasta and serve with side salad, steamed veg or garlic bread.